This has to be one of the more interesting rifles in the Lee Enfield story.
Some time ago a bare action came up for sale on a local website, it was the action alone, no mag or bolt.
All I knew about the action was that it was fom a rifle commisioned in the early 1900’s and that it was intended for Thailand. Not a lot really!
Siam was ruled by King Vajiravualh from 1910 to 1925 and that he was educated in England and attended Sandhurst. Whilst at Sandhurst he became extremely impressed with the SMLE, so much so, that he commissioned 10,000 rifles from BSA.
The rifles themselves are rather unique, as on the wrist of the rifle is a Tigers Head, which represented “The Wild Tiger Corp”.
Sadly, not many of these wonderful rifles remain today. This is due in part to the climate, and if you have ever visited Thailand you will understand why. This was further compounded during WWII by the destruction of captured weapons by the invading Japanese forces.
As such, only a few of the “The Wild Tiger Corp” examples remain today, they are an important piece of the Enfield story.
So when I saw the bare receiver, I jumped at the opportunity to own a piece of history.
Restoration time! I knew at home I had a very good .303 barrel that I had recently removed from a No2MkIV .22 cal marked reciever. It was the correct aged barrel and even had the correct BSA logo.
I had a spare mag and a correct type of bolt.
I tried to stick with a suitable dark coloured wood that had the same characteristics of the original. After a good hunt around the traps I found such a piece of wood, well half of it!
So what I want to do now is put together a spliced or joined bottom wood . Even though the barrel is indexed properly and of good quality i think this will be a wall hanger . There wouldn’t be too many of these rifles about these days i would imagine?
However, if i ever consider firing the rifle I will get the rifle properly checked as the bolt is a tight fit, and I will use lead cast reduced loads initially to test the splice.
However nothing is ever easy and as the photo will show is that the whilst the slice will be in the most discreet place, along the barrel band, just behind it is the inner band, screw and spring! Slightly awkward!
There are a couple of options. I could simply make a display piece, or consider possibly moving the inner band or even introduce a second forward band as such to disperse the stress on the join. Im even curious to see if any where converted to grenade launchers as that would solve the problem straight away!
Arghh the joys of projects!